Federation is group of service providers that directly peer with one another for the purposes of exchanging on-net voice traffic. Typically number to user look-ups are performed via ENUM (NAPTR DNS queries) but this is not always the case.
Why are service providers doing this?
- It’s the most effective way to exchange voice traffic
- Voice and termination quality is superior
- It is less expensive
- “Bill and Keep” regulations are pushing the industry in this direction
What are some pitfalls you need to be aware of when implementing a federation strategy?
- Many platforms do not support the underlying technology that makes Federations possible (ENUM)
- “Poachers” or service providers that misrepresent the numbers they control will negatively affect cost and quality
- Number management can be a slow and error prone process
How can RouteNGN™ help facilitate federation?
- RouteNGN™ “speaks” ENUM and can translate it to a standard SIP message
- RouteNGN™ can query multiple ENUM servers simultaneously
- RouteNGN™ can mix and match federated and non-federated routes into a routing matrix
- RouteNGN™ allows users to easily manage 10s of millions of phone numbers